During the present term of office, which began in May 2015, policies relating to sexual and gender diversity come under the Department of Feminisms and LGBTI, with the aim of reinforcing the idea that sexism and LGBTI phobia share the same roots. Adopting a clear gender perspective when it comes to analysing and handling the problems and needs of the LGBTI community.
We want to emphasise diversity in in the LGBTI community and the need for a cross-cutting approach to make it clear that sexual and gender diversity can not be taken in isolation from other areas of inequality like gender, social class, background or functional diversity. Another important aspect is the inclusion of intersex people and people with DDS alongside lesbians, gays, trans and bisexuals.
Barcelona City Council hopes the Pla municipal per la diversitat sexual i de gènere (Municipal Plan for Sexual and Gender Diversity) will address citizens as a whole, regardless of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, with the object of building a city that is more respectful of sexual and gender diversity. The policies this plan develops see sexual and gender diversity as enriching and as an asset the city must foster and defend.
We shall promote an inclusive administration that will listen and answer to the needs and interests of the diversity of citizens, transforming the practices and culture of the City Council itself and guaranteeing fundamental rights, with specific measures.
Description of the city
Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia, a self-governing region or autonomous community forming part of Spain. The language of Catalonia is Catalan, which is co-official alongside Spanish. The city has 1.6 million inhabitants (idescat 2015).
Barcelona City Council has stood out for its pioneering commitment in defence of Civil Rights in the city. In 1995 it set up the Department of Civil Rights and in 1998 the Office for Non-Discrimination was founded. With reference to policies in defence of LGBTI people’s rights, the LGBTI Municipal Council was set up in 2004. And in 2010 the Pla municipal per al col·lectiu LGTBI 2010-2015 (2010-2015 Municipal Plan for the LGBTI Collective) was launched.
In 2016, the Pla municipal per la Diversitat sexual i de gènere. Mesures per la Igualtat (LGTBI 2016-2020 Municipal Plan for Sexual and Gender Diversity. Measures for LGBTI Equality 2016-2020), directed by the Department of Feminisms and LGBTI, took over with the intention of increasing aims, actions and the indicators for analysing its results and systematically looking at all areas of the City Council through LGBTI eyes. It’s based on two strategic approaches: Institutional Change, whose object is to include the LGBTI perspective throughout the municipal structure, and the City of Rights, which aims to connect and coordinate the actions of the Municipal Administration directed at the city LGBTI collective.
This plan was drawn up after the Catalan Parliament approved the Llei per a garantir els drets de lesbianes, gais, bisexuals, transgèneres i intersexuals i per a eradicar l’homofòbia i la transfòbia (Law to guarantee the rights of lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender and intersex people and to eradicate homophobia and transphobia), of 10 October 2014, a law establishing a frame of action which contains many of the measures in the Plan.
In 2017, the city will be opening its Centre Municipal de Recursos LGTBI (Municipal Centre for LGBTI Resources).
Publications and other materials
Law 11/2014 of 10 October, to guarantee the rights of lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender and intersex people and to eradicate homophobia and transphobia: http://treballiaferssocials.gencat.cat/web/.content/03ambits_tematics/09lgtbi/temes_relacionats/Llei_homofObia_LF_Llibret.pdf
Second Rainbow Cities Conference Website: http://barcelonalgbticonference.eu/en/
The current plan incorporates and reinforces the LGBTI perspective in all municipal policies in areas such as social and citizens’ rights, citizen participation, children, young people, old people, education, health, sport, culture, international relations, cooperation, immigration, employment, prevention and safety and other municipal sectors. In collaboration with the public administration. And those bodies fighting for the rights of the LGBTI collective:
- ACATHI - Catalan Association for the Integration of Bisexual and Transsexual Immigrants: http://www.acathi.org/
- ACEGAL - Catalan Association of Businesses for Gays and Lesbians: http://www.acegal.org/
- ACGIL - Christian Association of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transsexuals of Catalonia: http://www.acgil.org/
- ACORD - Advice, Counselling, Guidance and Resources for Women: http://www.acordlgtb.org
- AFIRMA’T: http://www.afirma-t.org
- AMPGIL - Association of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transsexual Parents: http://www.ampgil.org/ca/
- ATC LIBERTAD- Association of Transsexual and Intersex People of Catalonia: https://atclibertad.wordpress.com/
- BARCEDONA: www.barcedona.org
- CANDELA – Associació for Research and Community Action: www.candela.cat/
- CASAL LAMBDA: http://lambda.cat/
- CHRYSALLIS: http://chrysallis.org.es/
- CREACIÓN POSITIVA- Positive Creation: http://www.creacionpositiva.org/
- COMISSIÓ UNITÀRIA 28 DE JUNY - JUNE 28 JOINT COMMITTEE: http://www.28juny.org/
- ENRUTA’T: http://www.enrutat.org/
- FAGC - Gay Liberation Front of Catalonia: www.fagc.org/
- FLG - Association of Lesbian and Gay Families: http://www.familieslg.org/familieslgtb
- CJB - YOUTH COUNCIL OF BARCELONA: http://www.cjb.cat/
- CTC - Pro-Rights Transsexual Collectoive of Catalonia: http://www.transsexualitat.org
- CULTURA TRANS: http://culturatrans.org/
- ENS ENTENEM: http://www.entenem.com
- FUNDACIÓ ENLLAÇ: http://www.fundacioenllac.cat/
- GAG- Group of Gay. Lesbian Transsexual and Bisexual Friends: http://www.amicsgais.org/
- GAIS POSITIUS - Positive Gays: http://gaispositius.org/
- GALESTV: http://gayles.tv/
- GAYLESPOL - Association of Gay and Lesbian Police: http://www.gaylespol.es/
- GENEREM: http://generem.org/ca/
- LESBICAT- Lesbian, Bisexual and Pansexual women of Catalonia: https://lesbianesacatalunya.wordpress.com/tag/lesbicat/
- NASIJ: http://www.cristianosgays.com/tags/proyecto-nasij
- PANDORA: http://www.pandorapsicologia.com
- PANTERES GROGUES – Yelow Panthers: https://panteresgrogues.cat
- PROJECTE DELS NOMS-HISPANOSIDA: http://www.bcncheckpoint.com
- STOP SIDA – STOP AIDS: http://www.stopsida.org
- UNIVERSITAT SIN VERGÜENZA - LGBT University Association: http://www.sinver.org/
Photo: Law 11/2014 of 10 October, to guarantee the rights of lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender and intersex people and to eradicate homophobia, biphobia and transphobia.
Photo credit: Laia Ventayol (Gayles.tv)
Barcelona City Council’s LGBTI website is in the process of being designed. Related addresses: